Monday, January 30, 2012

Why I travel



“Some people don’t understand why I am here and it hard to explain unless you have the travel bug…..

I travel….

Not to escape life but to experience it….

Not to experience a trip but to experience extensive travel….

Not because I´m lost but to get lost….

Not to experience a loss of my language, but to learn a new one…. by the people of that culture….

Not to experience cold showers, no stove, and no washing machine, but to experience what it is like different people in other cultures… what they live with and what they live without….

Not to be without a home, but to experience the generosity of other people sharing their home….

Not to miss the holidays with the people I love, but to be taken in by people of a different culture and learn of their traditions……

Not to experience being sick but to trek through canyons and feel the wind on my face….

Not to be without a gym, but to have the world as my gym….

To be able to have better intuition…


To walk down the street and not fear the people…

To know when not to walk the streets alone…..

Not to be in a resort, but to go further…..sand board the dunes at sunset and climb the dunes at 5 am to see the sunrise….. to just lay there and not feel like I have to run off to do something……

I know it´s not always safe, easy or fun, but life never is…. You can´t avoid certain hardships in your life but you can enjoy your life and just adjust to what difficulties may come.

Some people have said….”I hope you find what you are looking for” And yes, I did, because all I was looking for was the plane … But I found so much more.

Life is all about memories!!!!”


To a certain extent, I don’t care what people think of me going off and traveling, but to the people that I am genuinely close to, I do care. I hope they will find they have an exciting journey also, even if it is very different from mine!

While this presents a semi negative view of the experiences of traveling, I like it anyway... this is from the travel blog of Nichole Carlson explaining why she travels.

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
— Chris McCandless

No comments:

Post a Comment