Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sitting on top of the world

To do list: train to NY, open bank account, renew library card, check out boots to replace my black ones, update blog, purchase ticket to Atlanta, laundry, pick up a copy of Crime and Punishment, catch up on emails, go to church, meet Osato, head home.

Today I felt as though I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. Well not really but I definitely feel like I was a prime candidate for a Murphys law experiment (everything that can go wrong will go wrong).

My day started at 5am, I left on time to get to the MetroNorth station which is 45 minutes away. A few minutes before getting to the train, the rain started and my paper shopping bag with my newly purchased kettle began to disintegrate. As if carrying my two heavy bags was not enough, I had to hold this bag very carefully to prevent it from ripping further.  By 6:42am, I pulled out of New Haven (Connecticut) train station New York bound.

On the train, I conducted some preliminary research on banks to decide where I should open a new checking account. I chose TD Bank. When I pulled into New York's Grand Central Terminal, I asked for directions to get to the closest branch.

I walked over to 42nd St/Madison Ave and I was greeted by a cheerful gentleman (lets call him Joe) who jokingly advised that if I wanted to return my Macys purchase, I would have to go to the Macys store directly. I waited for "Lauren" who I advised would be the next available representative. I walked over to her and as I grabbed my Macys bag, it ripped in half! Joe came back seconds later with a TD bank replacement bag! How considerate!

Lauren was sweet, pleasant and knowledgeable. Before getting down to business we spoke about the important stuff...shopping! After she explained the various bank accounts, I realized that the offers would not work for me. (Sidenote: I am very proud of myself for not just compromising and taking anything thay was presented, but knowing what I wanted and being patient enough to not try and substitute it with something less than worthy!) I apologized for not being able to commit, she thanked me for coming in especially since it was not busy, she gave me her business card and I left. Upon exiting, I thanked Joe and advised that I would now proceed to do free advertising for the bank.

Next, I walk over to the library which is conveniently located two blocks away from my previous destination. I walk up the stairs and proceeded to read the sign that advised me that the library would not be open for 90 minutes.

So I walked over to another library, everyone was subject to a property inspection. I walked in ready to complete a seemingly easy task: fill out a form, pay a fee and get a library card. In short, I did not get a card because of some erroneous charges that were on my previous account. All the books were turned in, the rep confirmed that none were outstanding but I had to call some number to validate the charges before proceeding. My phone battery was depleted....

I walked with my three bags over to Lord and Taylor but they were closed.Slackers! No big deal. The boots can wait.

To complete my final task before heading home, I headed over to Citibank where I have an existing checking account. A tall Asian man named James greets me. I was excited to see that the branch was empty. He walks over to a gentleman and returns with a stack of papers stating that the rep who is clearly not assisting anyone has a client arriving in a few minutes but I could fill out the paperwork in the interim. I thanked James and informed that I would leave. Before motioning to exit, the representative (lets call him Andre) walked over explained the situation and asked me to wait 5 minutes. I obliged knowing that even if it were 6 minutes I was already locked in. Two other customer service reps came over to assist but each time Andre would motion that he would assist me.

Andre was witty, good mannered and likeable. We completed my request in a timely manner and talked alot in between signing and printing documents.

Finally, one item I can check off successfully.  I decided to exercise my tolerance (not patience) and wait for the local train instead of taking the express then having to transfer. Two express A trains passed, three local E trains passed and finally my local C train approached. In Manhattan it does not matter if the train is local or express, I just need it to be local in Brooklyn. After getting to the second stop in Brooklyn, the conductor announces that the train is going express! Seriously?

I wont go into the frustrations of trying to get tickets after I got home but I will say three things
1. Since I felt like the world was on top of me, I decided to go on top of the world {my roof} and take back the authority (not the initial reason I climbed up on the roof but it was helpful)
2. I definitely said "God I trust you" and then seconds later started questioning Him asking why such a well planned day is going so wrong (see email my friend sent to me last week)
3. The day ended very well. I went to Bible study and even though the message was on grace, Pastor somehow deviated to a comment that ministered to me to the effwct of "Many people say they trust God but if something does not look right, they immediately start worrying and getting agitated. Thats not real trust."

Makes me say "ouch"

Me (in a tizzy)   God, can I ask you something?

GOD: Sure.

Me: Promise you won't get mad?

GOD: I promise.

Me (frustrated): Why did you let so much stuff happen to me today?

GOD: What do you mean?

Me: Well I woke up late,

GOD: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start,

GOD: Okay...

Me (growling): At lunch, they made my sandwich wrong and I had to wait

GOD: Hmmmm..

Me: On the way home, my phone went dead, just as I picked up a call

GOD: All right

Me (loudly): And to top it all off, when I got home, I just wanted to soak my feet in my foot massager and relax, but it wouldn't work. Nothing went right today! Why did you do that?

GOD: Well let me see...the death angel was at your bed this morning and I had to send one of the other angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that.

Me (humbled): Oh...

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that might have hit you if you were on the road

Me (ashamed): ............

GOD: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick and I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work

Me (embarrassed): Oh.....

GOD: Your phone went dead because the person that was calling was going to give a false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered

Me (softly): I see God

GOD: Oh and that foot massager, it had a short that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm sorry God.

GOD: Don't be sorry, just learn to trust me...in all things, the good and the bad

Me: I WILL trust you God

GOD: And don't doubt that my plan for your day is always better than your plan

Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, thank you for everything today.

GOD: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I love looking after my children.

Scriptural References: II Samuel 22:31, Proverbs 3:5, Hebrews 2:13

"The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed"  ~  (Proverbs 11:25)

In all things give thanks.  ~  1 Thes 5:18




No comments:

Post a Comment