Matthew 6: 1-18 advises that fasting should be a personal act, let's review some of the do's and don'ts
Caveat: this is not a public announcement, do not try to get attention by announcing to everyone that you are fasting.
- beware of practicing your righteous acts to be noticed by men (v1)
- give to the poor in secret (v2-4)
- pray meaningfully in secret to God (v5-9)
- pray the Lord's prayer (v10-15)
- anoint your head and wash your face so your fasting won't be noticed (v16-18a)
- practice your "good deeds" to get public recognition or admiration
- announce to the public that you helped someone in need
- act like the hypocrite who prays out.loud to be seen by men
- pray meaningless repetitions
- put on a gloomy face and neglect your appearance to get attention about the fact that you are fasting
If you do the dos, you won't have to worry about the donts.