The types of fasts are:
- Absolute - no food or water
- Normal - no food, just liquids
- Partial - normal fast for specific time or eliminating certain foods
A fast can last for whatever amount of time you choose except for the only during the hours when you are sleeping! There is no magic trick for getting manifestation or intimacy with God. Popular biblical fasts lasted 3, 7, 21 and 40 days. There are also references to 1/2 day fasts and 24 hour fasts. Your relationship with God should never be reduced to a formula. If you want to fast for 2 hours, 2 days or 2 weeks, do not let the status quo deter you. Don't get bogged down on the details and be practical about your fast. If you have never fasted in your life, maybe you shouldn't attempt the 40 day fast!
- If it doesn't mean anything to you, it won't mean anything to God. (don't fast from cauliflower, if you don't even like cauliflower, what kind of sacrifice is that?)
- Without prayer, it's just dieting or a hunger strike!
Fasting is like spring cleaning for your body!