Money is a very touchy topic because a lot of people feel that someone is always out to get their money. Those people are usually the ones who don't have any money but I digress :) Oh don't get sensitive on me now! God has a purpose for money and it is to advance the Kingdom of God.
1. Establish the covenant of God (Deuteronomy 8:18- But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.)
2. Send ministers to preach the gospel (Romans 10:15 - And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!) - Well how can we send them without money?
3. Supply the needs of the church - (Malachi 3:10- Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.) It takes money to pay for the AC/heating bills and electricity. Newsflash:The government is not giving the church free electricity.
What you may not understand is that there are benefits of being in covenant with God. So you get touchy because you feel like when you give your $2 to the bake sale or the fish fry that people are going to use it to wash their cars, but please believe
1. God's way of advancing the Kingdom is not through bake sales
2. God's main purpose for your wealth is to advance the Kingdom but a benefit of being in covenant with God is total life prosperity which will include material things like the house, car, etc.