Friday, September 16, 2011

The God of New York

The first time I saw the ad below, I snickered because I thought it was witty and clever. After seeing it a few more times, I still think the marketing is effective but I started to think that the sad part is a lot of Christians think this way.

They think surely God can sustain me when I am in Texas, but New York, New York is too expensive. I have had conversations with so many Christians who were moving to new cities because they were believing God for a new home that was bigger and greater. Some of them moved because they wanted a change or a more family oriented state but most of them moved because they didnt have enough faith that God could provide for them in New York.

Now, from a real estate standpoint this is understandable. Square footage per property is a lot less because we are densely populated and in NY we build upwards to facilitate more people as opposed to across (sideways) to grant more space. So thats the real estate aspect.

Then there is the logical factor tied into the real estate issue of why pay 5mil for a 1 bdrm when you can get a 5 bdrm four bathroom house with backyard and a deck for half the price? I get that.

My issue is many people are leaving and walking away from their desire (living in NY) to try to "help God fulfill His promise" of giving houses we never built and vineyards we didnt plant (Deut 6:10-12) and the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4 & 35:27)

If you have to extend your faith for something, then why not extend it for your true desire? The same process applies. Studying the Word, making positive confessions, etc.

Clearly my reasons for serving God is not to see what I can get from Him but because I am in covenant with Him, I can expect that He will supply my needs. (Philippians 4:19) I don't want to serve a God who can only provide for me when I live in an impoverished city but has difficulty when I live in NY. God is the god of such and such a place and whatever He said in His Word (the Bible) applies to anywhere you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment