Everyone who wants to be good at something puts in the time and effort to study, get wisdom or learn in some formal setting. Christians expect to just walk down the altar, give their life to God and become a "professional" Christian.
I have done alot of things the world's way and it brought me grief, sorrow or debt. So now I am studying God's way of operating. Currently I am applying scriptures and implementing practical solutions to getting out (& staying out) of debt completely.
One scripture I read was in Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. Another version (NIV) reads: Let no debt remain outstanding, except the commandment to love one another.... Or NLT pay all your debts, except the debt of love for others. You can never finish paying that!
This ministered to me greatly because:
1. It shows we are no longer under the law of Moses with the ten commandments but under the law of love (which doesn't cancel out or give an excuse to kill but fulfils it as it naturally applies because you wouldn't murder someone if you loved them)
2. Love is an action, not just a feeling. I want to be loved the way I love God...unwilling to abandon or do without. I want to continue paying and be paid the debt of love
3. Owing no one anything leaves no place for debt
4. The reason God doesn't want us to owe any "thing" is because it violates the covenant with Abraham in Genesis 12:3 (& Galatians 3:8) of us being blessed to be a blessing
5. Reveals the reason why there has been such an attack on Christians being prosperous in the area of finances and wealth. If we are in so much debt and lack,how can we help anyone else? Thereby we are unable to fufill the righteous obligation of every family on the earth being blessed through us!
Don't be deceived folks. The pastor is not trying to get something from you, but something to you! (And if he is stealing from the church, woe be unto him, God will deal with him)