Sunday, March 4, 2012

New York Rat Race

Rat Race (wikipedia)
A way of life in which people are caught up in a fiercely competitive struggle for wealth or power. On March 1st, I decided for the umpteenth time since I moved back to New York that I was going to make a commitment to get out of the New York rat race and maintain a decent pace of life. I decided that I would prioritize my life, not only learn to say no but apply what I have learned and continue to maintain my work life balance. I have been pretty consistent about leaving work at five unless there is a special project or deadline. I seldom leave work late for two reasons:
1. I get what I need to get done in the alloted time period of an 8 hour day (I think that people who work late aren't necessarily more dedicated or loyal to the company but just more time wasters who didn't accomplish their task in the specified time frame!) :)
2. Thankfully, my job frowns upon working late and said must be pre-approved!

As a result, I can maintain my work-life balance and balance my social life with a need to rest and have time to think. When do people have time to think if they are always talking?!


I think it is time to exit the race gracefully. Now that is what you call living life to the fullest!

While I wanted to share my goals for March, strangely enough this post is not about my intention to slow down but much to my chagrin that the New York rat race is in fact............literal!

I considered posting a picture that is so easily obtainable of the rats that run rampant on the subway tracks. Newly appointed MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota is against the bill imposing a fine on straphangers who eat on the train. The rationale of the bill is that if you didn't eat on the trains or in the subway, it would help by reducing the amount of scraps for the pesky rodents. The bill is designed to curb the city's rat problem. While Lhota is committed to the problem of rat proliferation, he does not want to deprive people (especially children) of their time to eat breakfast, snacks or dinner. In an interview, he stated "It severely hurts and impacts minority communities. I don't want to deny the kid the only time that day he’s going to get food." A considerable amount of time is spent on the train so many people maximize that time by eating on the trains. (I seldom eat on the train because it is usually smelly, crowded or otherwise pleasant).

For more information on the ban on eating on the subway

No comments:

Post a Comment