Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Wisdom, if personified, would be a woman with a camouflaged veil.
She is omnipresent and she dwells within everyone. The wise constantly recognize her omnipresence as her veil is removed to them. But she is hidden to the unwise, and only revealed once their decisions have been made.
This post will not be about the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, I think we had enough media coverage.
I do want to thank all my loved ones for checking on me, offering support. Thankfully, I was not affected by the hurricane. I did not lose electricity, there were no downed trees in my area, no cases of flooding or any other issues.
Thanks to all!
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Friday, October 26, 2012
What girls wished guys knew about dating....
- Prioritize communication over romance ~ focus on deep meaningful communication, ask questions to get to know us, find out what makes us happy, angry, sad ~ that is real romance
- We want to be your girlfriend, not your mother ~ be a leader - be worth following; make plans sometimes
- Don't be a "playa" ~ guard our hearts, don't drag out a relationship that isn't going anywhere, be honest and open, don't mislead us
- Stay away from excess physical pursuits ~ strength is in controlling your emotions, not muscles; your ability to restrain yourself makes us feel honored and valued
- Attractiveness = character and authenticity ~that's sexyWhat girls wished men knew about dating...
- Appreciate our battle against lust ~ don't make it harder, carry yourself like a lady and stick to your standards and boundaries
- Don't smother us 24/7 ~ we need our space, if you want to spend every moment with us, it makes you seem clingy, controlling, emotionally needy and makes us feel trapped
- Let me be the leader ~ express your opinions, don't be a puppet, be a woman and help with the decisions but let me be the ultimate leader
- I would pursue you but you need to stop chasing me ~ you are viewed as easy and desperate
- Find your security in Christ, not in us ~ it is flattering to make us the center of your universe but eventually it becomes a turn off ~ be on fire for God, we don't want to be god in your life
- Mutually complete each other ~ you can't do apart but you were intended to do together
- Multiply a godly legacy ~ pass on faith to the next generation
- Mirror God's image ~ be a reflection of God's love (commitment, forgiveness, love, long-suffering)
- Turn desire into development ~ become the person you desire to be with
- Serve in ministry ~ learn how to serve and put someone else's needs above your own, practice submission and be Kingdom minded
- Get around some wise married people ~ ask questions
- Don't sleep with someone who is not your spouse ~ this causes an unhealthy attachment
- Develop my convictions or I'll live by default not design. Make decisions based on things that will benefit me and on purity, not on emotions.
- Not ALL the time is a good time for a relationship. Get to know myself and God first. Honor old relationships and don't flaunt new relationships ~ the old partner may still be hurting
- Determine "what is important to me"
- Set standards and stick to them
- Set yourself in a position to receive wisdom
- Set your private life in public view of a trusted select few
- Keep up with God ~ more action, more belief
- Set the past aside so the future can reside
- Don't rush a relationship, it may lead to regret, don't awaken love before it desires
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Monday, October 22, 2012
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Friday, October 19, 2012
I realized that I fear making decisions because I don't want to make the wrong decision or I would just be non-chalant about decisions
I am an extrovert and enjoy being surrounded by people, so it was very hard to decipher that I am a commitment phobe.:
- I cringe at two year phone plan commitments and look forward to my contract to be over
- I did not renew my apartment lease (My apartment lease ended February 2012 so I asked my landlord to allow me to live on a month to month lease even though I did not have any immediate plans to leave!)
- I avoid making plans on weekends with people outside of my circle
The truth is I am afraid I will make the wrong decision so I choose not to decide ~ which is in fact a decision (deciding not to decide). Janet Finch says "I know it feels like you have all these options and when you make a decision, you lose a world of possibilities. But the reality is, until you make a decision, you have nothing at all."
Starting immediately I will not fear making decisions because God has not given me a spirit of fear but of power and a sound mind! I will rely on the wisdom that is within me.
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Today was the first time meeting my mentee. We met at her high school and it was far from awkward. We have a lot in common and share similar interests.
In my own life, I have seen the impact my mentors have in my life. It is always refreshing to be around youth and today was no different.
Cheers to a great year Yolanda!
Monday, October 15, 2012
My friend recently received a package from an unknown sender, she thought long and hard, called a few people and no one owned up to sending the package so she figured out who it could be. Her analysis came from a logical position (process of elimination) and a deep desire to be right. Two days later, the sender revealed himself and boy was she disappointed. She is someone I truly care about so I felt bad for her and within a matter of days I was able to relate to her on a personal level.
I was expecting a call from a friend who was visiting NY for a few days. My phone rang and it was a call from an unknown number, the biggest smile came across my face and I sweetly answered the phone, it was not who I expected it to be. The next day, the same thing happened and I gave the same response with equal excitement. It was an old friend, but not the one I was hoping to hear from. Immediately I felt guilty, I was so disappointed that it was not who I wanted it to be that I didn't even bother to extend a warm greeting. I quickly ended the call and promised to call back after work.
What can we learn from this? Should you continue to expect the best at the risk of being continually disappointed? Overly optimistic. Should you curb your expectation to prevent yourself from being disappointed? Isn't that a bit pessimistic? Or should you just realize that life will have moments that live up to your expectations and others that don't ~ is that more realistic?
I'm deciding to just drink the water...
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Friday, October 12, 2012
~ You are having a discussion with someone who has a "chip on their shoulder" (grudge or feeling of inferiority). In the beginning, you are cool and calm, eventually the argument escalates and you become upset. By the end of the conversation, the other person is smiling because they managed to "ruffle your feathers" but you are agitated. The positive energy you walked in with was not lost or destroyed, it was simply transferred from you to the other party.
Emotion is simply energy in motion. That's why when we fear things it happens because thoughts are creative (congeal) so we attract what we fear.
What if we could manipulate and control energy and matter? Wouldn't it be great if we could rearrange and redistribute energy? Maybe we can...
I can be, do and have whatever I imagine ~ I am a creative force.
“The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
“Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail.” - Charles F. Kettering
Thursday, October 11, 2012
- Quality Time
- Physical Touch
- Words of Affirmation
- Acts of Service
- Receiving Gifts
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Over the next few weeks, I intend to be very sensitive to what we can call…uncommon dialogue. Join me on this journey and hopefully "something" will become more personal
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Sent from Tahisha Salmon
Monday, October 8, 2012
Sunday, October 7, 2012
1 Corinthians 1:30 states “God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.” Righteous
My understanding is that Jesus is my wisdom, He makes me blameless before God (righteous), He makes me one with God (holy) and took away my sins ~ past, present and future (redeemed). Why do we keep trying to acquire wisdom, holiness, righteousness and redemption without Jesus?
Jude 1:24 ~ Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault.
He is able to keep us from falling, He is able to bring us great joy. Do you know how liberating it is to know there is Someone greater who loves you and is completely willing and able to help you? Stop trying to achieve it, just receive it!
Saturday, October 6, 2012
It is no secret that work is the bane of my existence :) I am thankful to have a job, however I do not believe that so much time should be spent making money. I think we need a soul revolution. Here are a few people who agree with me:
(shout out to Nycrophone for introducing this artist)
Friday, October 5, 2012
The shocking thing I realized is.... not only was the e-mail still there when I woke up but so was the problem! OK fine, it wasn't shocking but I decided that I needed to face my fear. I responded to the email very transparently and I felt a huge relief for a few reasons:
- I was honest with the recipient
- I was honest with myself
- I had a clearer understanding of the problem and the solution
- I realized that I lived as if life were an emergency and it's truly not
Thursday, October 4, 2012
After dinner, I went to visit Linda. On the way, I spoke to my parents and was amused by my father's expected humor. As usual, we had a great time, what was meant to be a 30 minute visit turned into two hours and at 11pm, a very tired Ro walked three blocks home.
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Today was by far, potentially the second worse day of my current career. Nothing major happened, but a number of minor things happened including blame shifts, unsupportive management and my vacation request to attend a wedding being denied. It was also the last day on a project I worked on for the past few months. I was counting down the minutes to 5:30 PM. Immediately as the clock turned, Ro made like Elvis and left the building.
And then I met up with Priya. The first word that comes to mind when I think of Priya is sage. She is filled with little gems of wisdom. She always sheds a new perspective on situations. We were supposed to meet the previous week but we had to take a literal rain check. We met up very briefly because we were both operating on the NY agenda with back to back engagements but we wanted to see each other for how long we could spare. Now that I think about it, I hope I didn't drain her because I walked in feeling like crap and left feeling inspired. Where did all that energy go?
After we parted, I went to refuel. I am like a car who goes to church to fill up on fuel. The message was very encouraging. A guest speaker from Colorado, Pastor John Bevere taught a message on Daniel, the fear of the Lord and focused on the truism "getting wisdom is the principle thing"
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
You know, art just makes everything so much better, and so less “eh”/ “blah”
My company recently invested in a series of paintings. As I walked around yesterday, I glanced in an attempt to “appreciate art” and I was not intrigued by any of them. I had various thoughts from “my niece could have painted that” to “I don’t even know what I am looking at!” am I going to be one of those people who pretend to appreciate art? I actually enjoy going to some museums, I think the art was just really bad! Watch this funny clip from Pete Holmes about going to museums (special thanks to Daniel for putting me on to this vid!)
Monday, October 1, 2012
And she sings “je vujtrais” but I sing “je vudray”. I promptly stop the video to inquire where she saw a “t” in the word “voudrais”. She explains to me how it should be pronounced. I guess the best explanation is when you have a dry cough and you are inflicted with excess phlegm that you need to eliminate.
Linda: keep saying it, you will get it
Linda: let me say it again, it will come
Ro: what are all these words in the future, what do you mean “it will come?” It came! I am saying it (in my head, not only am I saying exactly what she is saying but I am probably saying it better!)
She blurts out laughing and I insist that she watches the video below of the Friends episode of Phoebe trying to teach Joey how to speak French - must watch (special thanks to Daniel for showing me this clip!)